Early Childhood Assistant
- Program Accreditation: Diploma
- 41 weeks – Total hours: 1,000
- Theory: 520 hours – Internship: 480 hours
The Early Childcare Assistant Diploma Program has been designed to equip childcare workers with the valuable knowledge, skills and experience for employment as Assistants in day care or early learning centres. In addition to covering early childhood development, program planning, communication and other vital topics in childcare, the program also includes the role of the assistant in a childcare setting.
There is increasing demand in the industry for qualified individuals who have completed formal training such as that offered in this diploma program. Career opportunities exist in childcare centers, kindergartens, nursery schools and centers for exceptional children, Montessori Schools and early learning centers.
- An Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent; or be at least 18 years of age or older and pass an entry test.
- English proficiency requirement for international students.
- Medical Certificate.
- Vulnerable Sector Screening Police Reference Check.
- Standard First Aid & CPR Level C Certification.
To successfully meet the program outcomes the student must:
- Achieve a minimum mark of 65% in all of the module assignments and exams
- Achieve a satisfactory rating in the internship evaluation
What You Will Learn
The course consists of 13 modules. These modules are covered in the classroom and the internship.
- Introduction to Early Learning and Care
- Roles, Responsibilities and the Reflective Practitioner
- Multiple Perspectives of Child, Family and Community
- Introduction to prenatal and infant development
- Introduction to toddler development
- Introduction to preschool and school age development
- Observation and Documentation
- Responsive Relationships and Guiding Behaviour
- Program Planning and Philosophical Approaches to Learning
- Written Communications Skills
- Health and Safety
- Internship: The Early Childhood Assistant students complete their education with 480 hours of internship experience.