- Program Accreditation: Diploma
- 44 weeks – Total hours: 880
- Theory: 880 hours
Legal Assistants play a critical role in supporting lawyers in various types of firms and business organizations. These professionals provide assistance related to legal proceedings, including completing research, drafting various legal documents and maintaining databases. To succeed in this exciting field, the diploma program emphasizes education in understanding legal practices and language, industry ethics and communication skills.
Employment opportunities for Legal Assistants exist in law firms, government offices, real estate and insurance companies, financial institutions, legal departments or corporations. Graduates of this diploma program will be prepared to specialize in conveyance, litigation, family, estate and corporate practice.
- An Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent; or be at least 18 years of age or older and pass an entry test.
- English proficiency requirement for international students.
To successfully meet the program outcomes the student must:
- Achieve a minimum mark of 65% in all of the module assignments and exams
What You Will Learn
The course consists of 20 modules. These modules are covered in the classroom.
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Access
- Outlook & Email
- Communications Essentials
- Business Communications
- Office Procedures
- Accounting Essentials
- Employment Achievement Strategies
- Legal Terminology
- Legal Transcription
- Wills & Estates
- Essential Skills
- Microsoft Windows
- Corporate and Business Law
- Real Estate Law
- Family Law
- Civil Litigation & Debt Collection
- Legal Software
JOB FINDING WORKSHOPS ARE INCLUDED
The Legal Assistant Program is approved as a vocational program under the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005.