Medical Office Administrator
- Program Accreditation: Diploma
- 32 weeks – Total hours: 675
- Theory: 475 hours – Internship: 200 hours
Medical Office Administrators play a critical role in healthcare delivery; they also conduct many administrative tasks in the field of medicine, along with some basic clinical procedures. In this program, students will learn to take medical histories, explain treatment procedures and prepare patients for examinations. Emphasis is placed on medical terminology, body systems, medical transcription and office procedures.
Graduating students will be equipped with the business, technology and communications skills needed to work in a private physician’s office, single or multi-specialty clinic, or hospital setting. Typical job titles in this field include Medical Office Assistant, Medical Office Administrator, Medical Secretary, Medical Stenographer, Medical Billing Specialists, Secretary Ward and Medical Transcriptionist.
- An Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent; or be at least 18 years of age or older and pass an entry test.
- English proficiency requirement for international students.
- Medical Certificate
- Police Reference Check (Clearance) of Criminal Record
- Standard First Aid & CPR Level C Certification
To successfully meet the program outcomes the student must:
- Achieve a minimum mark of 65% in all of the module assignments and exams
- Achieve a satisfactory rating in the internship evaluation
What You Will Learn
The course consists of 13 modules. These modules are covered in the classroom and the internship.
- Computer Fundamentals
- Employment and Customer Service Skills
- Medical Terminology
- Anatomy & Disease
- Medical Transcription
- Medical Billing
- Clinical Procedures
- Medical Office Procedures
- Prescription Transcription
- Job Search/Academic
- Review Techniques
- Internship: The Medical Office Administrator students complete their education with 200 hours of internship experience.
JOB FINDING WORKSHOPS ARE INCLUDED
The Medical Office Administrator Program is approved as a vocational program under the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005.