NACC Personal Support Worker DE 2022
- Program Accreditation: Certificate
- 29 weeks – Total hours: 700
- Theory: 400 hours – Placement: 300 hours
If you value providing care for others, you may enjoy a career as a Personal Support Worker (PSW) where you will be a valuable member of an inter-professional care team. In this role, your primary duties will include providing care for individuals and assisting with their daily living so that they can sustain independence and self-direction.
PSWs are employed in long-term care facilities, home care settings, retirement homes, supportive housing, group homes, adult day programs, hospitals and educational facilities. The PSW Certificate Program at Evergreen College is aligned with the National Association of Career College’s (NACC) curriculum in order to prepare students with a wide-ranging skillset that equips them to provide a comfortable and safe living environment for the individuals in their care.
- An Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent; or be at least 18 years of age or older and pass an entry test.
- English proficiency requirement for international students.
- Medical Certificate
- Vulnerable Sector Screening Police Reference Check
- Standard First Aid & CPR Level C Certification
- Achieve a minimum mark of 70% on all assignments, performance demonstrations and tests.
- Achieve a satisfactory rating in all abilities listed in the Skills Passbook. (Clinical Skills Rating)
- Maintain current Police Clearance, Medical Certificate of Fitness and Immunization Status and Standard First Aid and CPR (Level C) Certification.
- Have fulfilled all of the practicum (clinical placement) hour requirements.
- Pass the PSW Final Examination administered by the National Association of Career Colleges (NACC).
What You Will Learn
The Course consists of 15 modules. These modules are covered in the classroom and in the practicum.
- PSW Foundations
- Safety and Mobility
- Body Systems
- Assisting with Personal Hygiene
- Abuse and Neglect
- Household Management, Nutrition and Hydration
- Care Planning/Restorative Care/Electronic Documentation/Working in the Community
- Assisting the Family/Growth and Development
- Assisting the Dying Person
- Assisting with Medications
- Cognitive/Mental Health Issues and Brain Injuries
- Health Conditions
- Gentle Persuasive Approaches in Dementia Care
- Clinical Placement (Community)
- Clinical Placement (Facility)
JOB FINDING WORKSHOPS ARE INCLUDED
The Personal Support Worker Program is approved as a vocational program under the Ontario Career Colleges Act, 2005 and meets the standards of the National Association of Career Colleges (NACC).